Thursday 7 April 2016

Magnify the Creator


Number 10 book has arrived! It is always exciting to receive the long awaited box of books, whether it’s the first novel or the tenth. I’m definitely planning to celebrate, and am grateful to my readers, publisher and editors, as well as to my ancestors and the historians who have recorded so much interesting and important Australian history, all of whom have been crucial to my writing.

However, I’ve been reminded recently in my quiet time, that the greatest glory must always go to God. 

Max Lucardo puts this so well:
“God endows us with gifts so we can make Him known. Period. God endues the Olympian with speed, the salesman with savvy, the surgeon with skill. Why? For gold medals, closed sales, or healed bodies? Only partially. The big answer is to make a big to-do out of God. Brandish Him. Herald Him. “Each of you has received a gift to use to serve others. Be good servants of God’s various gifts of grace … so that in everything God will be praised through Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 4:10-11). Live so that power and glory belong to Him forever and ever. Exhibit God with your uniqueness. When you magnify your Maker with your strengths, when your contribution enriches God’s reputation, your days grow suddenly sweet. (From Cure for the Common Life).

So, as sweet as it is to see the finished product after months of writing and all that goes into a published book, the sweetest thing of all is to trust that in this story and all my others, I have in some way magnified my Creator, the One who enables and inspires me to write. I pray there has been a character, a phrase, an event, a choice, that has turned my readers’ minds to God. Have I heralded 
Him, brandished Him? Does my story magnify God, enrich His reputation? This is my greatest hope and my deepest joy.

This has been a timely reminder as my mind turns to further writing. If there’s to be another novel, then I want to ponder not only the plot, the personality of the main characters, the intrigue I might devise, the romance I can develop, the suspense I could create, or the perfect ending. I want to think very carefully and prayerfully about the character I will weave into my story, who is the Father figure, the Godly figure, the disciple figure; the one who points the way to God, whose choices are based on faith in God, whose life is guided by God’s spirit. However subtle or overt this is, it needs to be present, like yeast in bread, like a seed planted which will bring forth fruit in the right season.

I think I’m describing a parable. Do we use our gift as writers to create parables? Should we? Jesus’s parables were so clever. The message was often hidden from the hearer, at least for a time. It took a searching heart, He said, to understand the real meaning. When the time was right for the hearer, their spiritual eyes would be open to the truth contained in the stories He told. And yet for those who were ready, the message was clear, cutting, life changing.
I want any future stories I write to be such parables.  The prospect excites me.

So after the celebration of Beyond the Fight, I hope I can look forward to more sweet days where I can give glory to the One who enables me to serve Him, where I can magnify my Creator, enrich His reputation in whatever aspect of my life He calls me to do so.

May your days also be sweeter for the same reason.

It does not belong to us, Lord. The glory belongs to you because of your love and loyalty.            Psalm 115:1

Carol


Carol writes historical novels based on her family ancestry in Australia from the First Fleet. They include the Turning the Tide series; Mary’s Guardian, Charlotte’s Angel, Tangled Secrets and Truly Free. Her earlier novels Suzannah’s Gold and Rebecca’s Dream have been re-released by EBP. Next of Kin, was released last year by Rhiza Press and her latest novel, Beyond the Fight, has just been released. You can see more about Carol and her novels on her website, her Amazon author page or FB author page .



12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great post Carol. And what a remarkable achievement. Congratulations on reaching double figures in your writing. I loved your post and what it revealed. Especially liked what you quoted from Max Lucardo. In fact I copied those words out so I'd re-read them and remember. Yes, giving glory to God is what it's all about isn't it? Thanks Carol. And enjoy the fruits of your labours! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anusha. It's always good to come back to the source of our achievements.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the publication of your number 10, Carol. Love the cover. And great reminder that importance of God's gifting and following His lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette. I love the cover of this one too. I have to give Rochelle the praise for my covers.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Carol--and another big congratulations to you! I love to read about the desire of your heart that lies behind all you write. And I loved that last sentence in particular from the Max Lucado quote--I definitely want to know that sweetness of magnifying the Maker with my strengths. I actually have Psalm 115:1 on the banner at the top of my website, so I can remember that what I do is for God's glory. Thanks again for this reminder, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo-Anne. Yes, I love this Max Lucado (got it right this time) quote. He often inspires me with his words.

      Delete
  4. Can I put my editor's hat on and note that you've spelled Max Lucado's name wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry Wendy. Thank goodness for editors.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, Carol! That's a lot of work and years and such an encouragement to readers to find something that will bless them. Wholesome entertainment is fine, but like Max Lucado's quote,'When you magnify your Maker with your strengths, when your contribution enriches God’s reputation, your days grow suddenly sweet.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't figure out why Google won't give my name.😊
      It's from Rita, Carol.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Carol on book number 10!
    I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Wonderful reminder of how much our characters have to 'say' to the reader. Yes indeed may God be glorified and may the Holy Spirit whisper into hearts, drawing them to God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Carol. Congrats on the publication of number 10. Hope it does well for you.

    ReplyDelete