Thursday 4 February 2016

Spend time with Me


by Pamela Heemskerk

A few months ago I came back from Christian Writers’ Conference all excited and inspired. And some attendees shared with me their writing ideas prompted by a weekend feasting on words. I was surprised, even shocked, by the size of the projects God has placed in some hearts. When I heard the ideas some shared, I thought, ‘Wow! That’s huge. How will s/he find time for that?’

But I know that God’s plans for us are huge. He sees far more potential in us than we ever see in ourselves. Then He enables that potential so we achieve what He sets for us to do. What’s more, He can organize us creative, disorganized types, to achieve it in a set time-frame.
I had just a taste of this a few weeks before the CWC where our minister claimed this empowering for the church in the coming week. His prayer went, ‘…and those of you who have deadlines this week, you are going to meet them.’ I had two in 48 hours and I thought, ‘No chance.’

I met them both. Without stress.

I’ve been reading Lisa Bevere’s Out of Control and Loving It recently (where would we be without books!), and she talks about who we are in Christ. We are not just barely saved, we are not fringe-dwellers in the Kingdom, but we have our feet firmly planted in Christ. We have access to our Father for all the power of Heaven in Jesus. We can ask for all that we need to fulfil His purposes for us, and know that He will provide. After all, He promises to equip those He calls.

And yes, I have been afraid too. Especially when it is making something as personal as writing public. Yet the Bible teaches ‘Remain in my love’ and ‘Perfect love casts out all fear’. I wasn’t ‘given’ a specific post-conference project. I strongly feel God has been saying instead: ‘Spend time with Me’.
I’m learning to overcome my fear of vulnerability by placing my confidence in God and in His love. It is less about my goals and plans and more about His. And I can only achieve those by staying close to Him, following His timing, and resting in His care.

How big a part does God play in your creative ministry? Do you wait on Him? Offer your work to Him? How does God empower you to reach His goals? How much of yourself will you let God have?


Do you, in the midst of your busy-ness,
spend time with Him?

12 comments:

  1. Great post Pamela. I love it how you posed the all important question at the end. I think busy-ness is the modern malady. We think that in order to be important we need to be busy! And yet, all our busy-ness counts for nothing if we are not busy doing what He asks of us.

    I really like these two lines from your blog: "It is less about my goals and plans and more about His. And I can only achieve those by staying close to Him, following His timing, and resting in His care." That's so true.

    That's a truth He's been teaching me through 2 very difficult years and it has been a good lesson to learn. Today is my writing day, but I look forward to having sufficient time with Him well before I begin. Thanks again for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anusha, I can relate to the difficult years - sometimes we wonder what God is doing! There's been many a time I've had to depend on Him - and then when things go'better' I start depending on me again! This was a timely reminder for me that without God being in what we do, all is in vain. Especially when I look at my friends' achievements in writing, and I am tempted to compare my achievements with theirs! Thanks for your support and friendship.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for a great post Pamela. Like Anusha, I loved how you put it " It is less about my goals and plans and more about His." It's a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanette. A steep learning curve tho'...:)

      Delete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    If we put together the big plans and intentions of everyone at the CWD conference last October, they would surely add up to years and hours of work collectively. That was a great time, to come together and compare, and I love the encouragement we got from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, it was an amazing weekend! I came home so refreshed and rejoicing in the work of so many talented people. Looking forward to many more.

      Delete
  4. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say, Pamela. His Holy Spirit gives us the wisdom we desperately need in our everyday lives in whatever we tackle. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I've had to keep reminding myself of this - but it is good!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this wise and godly reminder, Pam. I love your heart to stay close to God, follow his timing and rest in his care. Even as I type this, I have my Bible open beside my laptop at the chapter I read this morning, to remind me throughout the day. It takes only a little glance to one side--and there in 1 Cor 13 today is the great reminder about faith, hope and love remaining but everything else passing away! So important to listen to God throughout our writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing where God takes our work when He is in the equation. I've heard such incredible stories from so many of you. I'm encouraged by these, and it shows so well how God will make a way for our writing (and other ministries) to go where He knows they will work to good.
      A great idea - to keep the Word beside the computer. I might join you in this.

      Delete
  6. This hit home. I love spending time with Him but here lately? I have been slack. Forgive me Father. And I love being with Him. So why have I let the past three days slip by? Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A timely blog, Pamela. How easily we can allow priorities, even relationships, to get lost under a growing mound of to dos. So important to 'ambush' ourselves with reminders to recentre our focus in the everyday doings of life. I particularly like Jo-Anne's suggestion. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete