Monday 10 July 2017

Treasure in Unlikely Places


How thankful I am for my grocery deliveries—they have changed my life. In days past, I’d spend a few hours at a shopping centre on Monday, then spend the rest of the week recovering. But now—my online shopping is only a few simple computer clicks, and my ever-flagging energy levels remain topped up. Perfect! One cold wet Monday recently, I opened my front door to a lean, lanky young man. “Come in” I said with a smile. He walked inside, his arms laden with shopping bags.

As he strode past my bookcase, he turned, glancing at its contents with hungry eyes.
“What an interesting house!” He placed the shopping on my kitchen bench top.
“Could I have a look at your books?”
“Sure”

It was the first time a delivery man had been fascinated by my books. Come to think of it, it was the first time anyone had looked so rapt at the sight of my precious bookcase, containing my writerly world. He pulled out a couple of books and read their blurbs in deep concentration. Yes, he was a reader. I asked him what he’d been reading lately. His answer surprised me—he’d  been reading Buddhist teachings.
“So you’re interested in spirituality?”
He nodded.


“That’s great!” I felt the tug of the Holy Spirit in my heart. Give him one of your books Anusha. I ran inside and brought a copy of ‘Enjoying the Journey’. Jake (let’s call him ‘Jake’) took it, surprised and grateful. After he left, I prayed fervently for Jake. Strangely enough, just before he’d  arrived, I’d been mulling over the fact that some Christians might share Jesus with their delivery men, sure I wasn’t one of them. But here was a God-breathed opportunity. I prayed that this lovely young man would return so we could have a God conversation. I prayed that he would read my book. I prayed he would and seek and find the Light of the world.

Sometimes we find treasure in unexpected places, don’t we? If I didn’t suffer from chronic illness, I would not have needed Jake to deliver my groceries—and he, a seeker would not have got a copy of a Christian book in his hands.


What are the treasures we Christian writers discover in unexpected places?
Here are a few possibilities:
1.      Did something unpleasant happen to you this year? You've got some interesting writing material!
2.      Did a relationship break down?  Perhaps your new knowledge could be used to enhance your fictional characters?
3.      Did you face a rejection in your writing? You may have learnt to better your craft?
4.      Has your health failed you this year? Could it lead to more times of reading… which would in turn fuel your writing?
5.      Did the Enemy whisper negative words to you? Aha—perhaps he knows you are a writer to be reckoned with? Keep writing

6.      Did life throw curve balls at you? Perhaps it’s made you grow into a more mature writer?
7.      Has finding sufficient time to write been a challenge? Perhaps it’s time to order your life anew? Maybe it's time to discover a different set of priorities for this present season?
8.      Have there been more failures than successes in your writing journey? You know what they say … it can only get better from here!
9.      Do you feel a failure? The perfect soil for a writer's tree to flourish are roots of deep humility. So put on your on writerly gloves and keep gardening.

10. Has your walk with God been on shaky ground? It just might be an invitation from God Himself, to seek Him all over again? Who knows where that would lead.


You and I know too well how hard the battle. Writing is not for the fainthearted; that’s for sure. Rarely has either my life or my writing life gone according to plan. But you know what? God’s used those hard times to help me dig out riches—like a deep pit which yields its sparkling gems, glimmering under the sun, but mined with difficulty, through blood, sweat and tears.
·               Let's throw off the discouragement that often clings to our writerly dreams. Let's embrace our calling and ask God to lead us. Let our hearts, lives and our pens create pages of beauty, truth and goodness, words which will make a difference to our world and resound to His glory.  


Anusha’s been on many interesting detours in life, as a lab technician, a computer programmer, a full time Mum, a full time volunteer, a charity director, a full time job chaser, until one golden day (or was it a dark moonless night?) God tapped her on her shoulder and called her to write for Him. She has never recovered from the joy it brought her. 


She loves to find others enjoying life with Jesus and does her mite to hurry the process in her world through her writing and through her life. The goodness of God is her theme song through each season, as she dances in the rain with Jesus. Please stop by at her website to say G’day to her. She’d love to see you there. Dancing in the Rain. Her first book "Enjoying the Journey" is a collection of little God stories that will bring you closer to your Creator. 



21 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great post Anusha. What a wonderful, God-given opportunity to share your book and God's love to a searching young man. I pray the seed grows into a full grown tree of faith. Love your bullet points of turning the difficulties and irritations in life into pearls. Isn't it wonderful that God uses even our illnesses and diasasters to make treasure. His ways are not ours, and as much as we may wish He did things differently, that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny for your generous words. Yes, I am praying that 'Jake' would be back today and that we could have a good conversation. I'm sure God has great plans for him. Thank you for those prayers for him. It sure is a wonderful blessing that God takes the painful things of this world and turns them into glory. May He use all our experiences for good - the happy ones and the not so happy ones too.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I saw that today it is 50 years since Joni Erickson Tara's accident that turned her into a quadriplegic. Her faith and ministry has been a great blessing and inspiration to a multitude of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh is it? Wow! 50 years. She is one of my heroines. I was blessed recently to read the untold love story of her and her husband Ken. It was deeply moving and very encouraging. What an amazing life and how faithful she has been. A huge blessing she's been to the world.

      Delete
  3. Love this post, Anusha. Thank you for sharing about 'Jake'. What a joy - such an opportunity! And thank you for the encouragement to know and trust God is using EVERYTHING in our lives and has a purpose. You have expressed it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jenny. Yes, it was a great joy and I pray God will bring him back - perhaps today! :) Praise our awesome God who brings treasures out of even our mistakes and follies. May His purposes prevail in our lives. Thanks for the encouragement my friend.

      Delete
  4. A lovely opportunity to share your book, Anusha--and I love all the wise, practical advice you give in those ten points you give as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Jo-Anne. Wasn't it just? Bless you for your encouraging words. So glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. What a great encouraging blog. Thank You Anusha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Helen. So glad you liked it. And all the best in your own writing journey. Hope it's going well.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Anusha! I, too, pray that Jake will return so that conversation can take place. I have used many chapters from your book to encourage the ladies in my connect group. It's a great blessing to receive feedback from someone who has read and enjoyed our words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Lesley. Wouldn't it be great if I can continue the conversation? Thank you for using chapters of my book to encourage others. That makes me very happy. God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a great story, Anusha. Good on you for listening to that nudge of the Holy Spirit. I pray that the words in your book really minister to Jake as he reads them. You've had some difficult circumstances in your life, but you're an inspiration to so many people. I agree that God can use all of those circumstances in our lives to help make us better writers. If we've gone through something, we're in a better position to help others struggling with the same thing. Thanks for sharing and may God continue to bless your words mightily :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nola for your encouraging words. Yes, praying much that Jake would find his way to God. I was disappointed that someone else delivered the groceries today - but hoping God would continue to touch his heart and that my words would make sense to him. Yes, thank God that He can use anything and everything for the good and for His glory. Bless you for your encouragement Nola.

      Delete
  8. And let's pray for 'Jake'!
    Great post my friend - I always enjoy your perspective and challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Di. Yes please do pray for 'Jake'. Hoping he is reading my book and having God thoughts and is interested in pursuing him further. Thank you for your encouragement - so glad you liked it Di. :)

      Delete
  9. God works in mysterious ways... (your delivery guy) As for your list of questions, yes... all the hurts and pains as well as losses in my life have given me a better understanding. Thank you for the encouragement. I needed it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan. I'm sure you are pressing on to learn from all of these losses and hurts and difficult moments in your life. May God yield a rich harvest out of it all. So glad it was relevant for you this week. May He continue to shower encouragement and blessing over you this week and beyond. All the best in your writing journey. xox

      Delete
    2. Thank you :) I know He knows, it's a matter of trusting :)

      Delete
    3. I hope the week is turning out well Susan. May our faithful God honour your trust in Him. Bless you.

      Delete
  10. Thank you sweet Jo'Anne for your always encouraging words. You've certainly had more than your fair share of adversity this year haven't you? May our Father bless you abundantly and shine His light on all you have grappled with. May those curveball find somewhere else to land in the rest of the year. As for me, I'm cheering you on your writing journey. Bless you my friend.

    ReplyDelete