Monday 22 April 2013

I was blind but now I see



I was blind but now I see 

Have you ever really thought about that famous line? Until recently I hadn’t thought much about what it is like to be blind – or deaf for that matter. That is, until I read The Story of My Life by Helen Keller. As you probably know, Helen was both blind and deaf.
Helen speaks of being unable to communicate, to even think with clarity. Words were unknown to her – a strange concept to those of us who have acquired language from infancy. She likens her isolation as a child to a ship lost in a great fog, trying to find the shore, waiting in the fearful unknown, the silent darkness.
Then came love in the tangible form of Miss Anne Sullivan, her teacher. Knowledge and understanding would soon be hers. Her eyes would be opened as ours are when our Saviour comes to find us: He who opens our eyes that we may see, our ears that we may hear.
…knowledge is happiness, because to have knowledge – broad, deep knowledge – is to know true ends from false, and lofty things from low… and if one does not feel in these pulsations a heavenward striving, one must indeed be deaf to the harmonies of life.
Helen’s writings are a timeless demonstration of this, from the awakening of her heart, mind and soul when her teacher came in her childhood, to her burgeoning growth in academia.
However, what struck me most was her sheer gratitude and pleasure in living. Helen Keller saw more beauty and colour in the opening of a single bud than I ever have in a field of wildflowers. Her ears heard the approaching thunder while seeming to lack the ability, and she heard the warmth of a friend’s voice in the simplicity of their presence. She was excited by life; she was grateful. She lived and loved every moment. Miss Keller shares the detail in the darkness, the solace in the silence, hope and joy in all things.
Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content… So I try to make the light in others’ eyes my sun, the music in others’ ears my symphony, the smile on others’ lips my happiness.
Helen talks of books as though they were familiar friends that granted her eyes and ears. They were a window to other worlds, cultures, places, friends and foes, adventures and longings of the hearts of others. Her joy makes my own gratitude pale into shadows, but I am not sad or guilt-ridden at this—rather, I am challenged.
I read her expressions with a sense of a torch being passed, and I share this now with my fellow writers. How might we meet the challenge to give senses to the stories being tapped out on our keyboards? As a writer I long not only for life to be breathed into my words, but that the life in them be wholly unconnected to me.
Can my words be alive with the sense of the Saviour? Can they breathe humanity in an almost soul-like quality?
Trying to write is very much like trying to put a Chinese puzzle together. We have a pattern in mind which we wish to work out in words; but the words will not fit the spaces, or, if they do, they will not match the design. But we keep on trying because we know that others have succeeded, and we are not willing to acknowledge defeat.
How true those words. I find it odd that in taking a look at what it is like to be without sight or hearing, I feel better prepared to put my puzzles together.
In a word, literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourse of my book-friends.
What I gleaned from Helen Keller’s writings will stay with me forever. My question is: will our own impressions made permanent in ink, make the same impact? I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.

All quotes from The Story of My Life by Helen Keller
 


12 comments:

  1. Quite a challenge you place before us Lee. Being divorced from all we know and have been surrounded by is something most of us are unable to be and terrifies us in our core,
    Never the less, can we take up the challenge and simply see our works flourish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that interesting post Catherine. I have always been fascinated by Helen Keller's life. We have much to learn from her. Although we do not have the same same tough challenges Helen did - I would guess most of us have a different set of challenges to face.

    And no doubt God will meet us in the place we are most vulnerable at. I don't want to be totally disconnected from my writing though. I pray that my writing does reflect glory to our Creator. Also that my life would reflect the praises of that same Creator who (amazing as it sounds), allows us to share in His glory.

    Many thanks for the challenge Catherine. Here's to us meeting the challenge with much eagerness and great courage!
    Anusha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anusha - I guess when I say that I want my writing to be unconnected to me its because it is fiction (I know you often write non-fiction) and I want the characters to be so real that the reader does not think of me. At the same time I want them to sense God in every page. Does that make sense? I want His reflection there in a real and tangible way that directs the reader to Him more than me. To His glory always isn't it? I know your writing brings Him glory - you do a wonderful job of shining His light. Blessings my friend. :)

      Delete
    2. Ah! I get it now Catherine. Of course. And then... I think in a sense that's how our lives should reflect Him too - to point totally to Him through all we do. So thanks for that bit of illumination.

      And thanks for your encouragement too my friend. Always appreciated. God bless you richly. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the story of Helen Keller - such courage and new hope in what seemed a hopeless situation. it reminds us that we can take so much for granted. Thanks for sharing this Catherine - and highlighting the power of words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my prayer, Catherine. If someone can identify with one of my character's spiritual battles and find the answer in the Lord then I have succeeded. Jesus wrote human experiences in all His parables. Some may read our stories when they wouldn't pick up a Bible. So we have quie a challenge to make our stories count for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up one of my favourite novels was Helen Keller's Teacher, the story of Annie Sullivan and how she taught Helen Keller to communicate. She also Had an very hard start to life.
    They are both inspiring women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - I'll have to look Annie up and read her story, too!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful post. Catherine. I've loved Helen Keller's story since I was a little girl, and cried to read about her life, and that of her teacher Anne Sullivan. The impact of this girl's triumph over such unimaginable darkness really touched me then, and still does.

    Thanks for bringing her back to mind, and the encouragement to leave our readers with something to remember.

    Blessings
    Dotti :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is enough to make you cry! There is so much to learn from her.
      Thanks Dotti

      Delete
  7. Catherine, my response would be that a story that gives hope to the overcomer can have the same impact. Helen's challenge would speak to the many but in life we all have our own testimony of overcoming through the grace of God. The bible says there WILL be trials and there is emphasis in reward for the overcomer and that we need to encourage each other. I believe God wants us to use our testimony to impact others, encouraging them and pointing to his grace that gets us through the tough stuff. Our individual testimony is to be used for his glory. If we get it in writing it can testify to many more than verbally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catherine, I was greatly encouraged by your words today and yes, my earnest hope is that the words I write will be inspired and used by the Holy Spirit to become love and light in a tangible form.

    ReplyDelete